Friday, September 19, 2014

Derby is my density!

Roller derby is my destiny. At least that is the conclusion I came to tonight after I had a bourbon and two tiny butterfingers. Last week I felt like shit on a shingle; like I can't even tie my skates let alone achieve the mythical 27 in 5.

I'm a dichotomy: while I am not a high achieving person who enjoys the riches of personal success I am weirdly stubborn and I refuse to lose. Setting low goals is where it's at. About 6 years ago I wanted to get involved in derby but I was busy steadfastly achieving my (kind of pointless) midwifery goals and raising two small children. I forgot about derby but every once in while I would get buzzed and watch derby videos and dream my derby dreams. Alas, my kids were young and midwifery clients generally don't care if you have practice when they decide it's time to push out their babies.

(Here is where I will interject that if I knew then what I knew now... Derby at 34 would have been so so very much easier than derby at 40.)

So, flash forward and here I am. I'm 40 and I'm exactly 4 weeks into attempting to play derby. I have new $450 skates (because I'm 40 and I'm not going to rock shitty skates) that kind of hurt my feet, I wear my Pilates workout clothes to skate because I have no pride, and I'm pretty sure my back just hurts from now on. But I'm here and because I am a stubborn Scorpio I won't quit until I break something... and even then I will probably try to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment